Required Testing and Inspections of Fire Alarm Systems
National fire alarm codes and Florida Statutes requires that commercial facilities, churches, daycare centers, health care facilities, warehouses, industrial sites and manufacturing plants, some apartment and condo building, etc. have to have their fire alarm systems tested and inspected at least once a year. Choosing an authorized fire alarm company with experienced and knowledgeable technicians is critical to ensure the system undergoes proper testing and inspection.
What is the NFPA?
According to the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, the 2016 National Fire Protection Standards, or NFPA 72, provides standards for the qualifications and experience for service personnel that all fire alarm service and installation companies must adhere to. Examples include factory-trained personnel certified to service the specific type and brand of fire-alarm-system, as well as personnel certified by a nationally recognized fire-alarm certification organization acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
What does NFPA 72 address?
NFPA 72 establishes rules covering the application, installation, location, performance, inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire alarm systems. Additional rules cover supervising station alarm systems, public emergency alarm reporting systems, fire warning equipment and emergency communications systems (ECS), and their components. Provisions of the code are spelled out in prescriptive requirements with performance-based design methods and risk analysis requirements provided and the essentials for the proper design and integration of mass notification systems.
NFPA 72 also provides the latest safety provisions to meet society’s changing fire detection, signaling, and emergency communications demands. In addition to its focus on fire alarm systems, the Code also includes requirements for mass notification systems used for weather emergencies, terrorist attacks, whether biological, chemical, or nuclear emergencies and any other major threats to public safety.
Cutting Edge Technology in the area of Fire Alarm Systems
Today’s commercial fire alarm systems offer the highest level of protection not seen in decades. Cutting edge technology has helped provide better, more efficient safeguards to alert you in the event of a fire. The only thing worse than experiencing a building fire is a building fire without a proper warning & notification systems.
Building owners or operators may not only suffer a financial loss; damage to property life and limb, but in the event of a fire, can be additionally liable if their fire alarm systems have not undergone their annual inspection and certified as meeting code standards.
What to expect from a Certified Fire Alarm Company
When hiring a fire alarm company to test and inspect fire alarm systems, trained and experienced technicians should:
- Test the control panel functions to inspect the lamps and LEDs, check fuses, interface equipment, and check the primary power.
- Test any remote annunciator panels/keypads for proper operation
- Test any voice EVAC systems for proper operation
- Test smoke detectors by introducing approved aerosol into smoke detector chamber or specific manufacturer recommended methods of performing the proper test and verify the proper signal was received at the alarm panel.
- Test manual pull stations through a full range of motion and verify the proper signal was received at the alarm panel.
- Test heat detectors with a heat gun and verify proper alarm activation at the fire alarm control panel.
- Test and inspect all audible and visual devices to ensure that they are unobstructed, proper lights activate, and the sound level is above ambient noise levels.
- Random check of circuit supervision to ensure fire alarm panel detects an open circuit.
- Load test stand-by batteries and check auxiliary functions such as door release and damper release.
- Connection to the fire sprinkler systems water flow & valve tamper switch for Sprinkler Monitoring
- Address any related issues
By providing this list of essential fire alarm inspection services, businesses owners and operators should evaluate any potential fire alarm company based on the above criteria.
ESI, Emergency Systems Inc. is a locally owned and operated security company serving all of North and Central Florida for over 37 years. ESI provides expert design, service and installation of security systems for residential, commercial and industrial businesses. We are the leader in the design, installation and inspection of fire alarm systems ensuing your business possesses the most up to date technology in fire alarm protection. ESI offers a wide range of additional security services including CCTV, Access Control Systems, Gate Operating Devices for residential and commercial applications, monitoring and much more. Our professional staff and trained technicians are here to answer any questions you might have. Please give us a call today.
Call Emergency Systems, Inc. to learn more about our affordable fire alarm inspection process at 904 388-3975 or visit us on our website at www.getesi.com